Raising the profile of Luxembourg as a fund jurisdiction
- Our overall objective is to raise the profile of Luxembourg as a fund jurisdiction
amongst UK and specialist global media.
- Alfi has a great deal of collateral – research, views, conferences
– and our overall strategy is to create a programme which leverages
this collateral to create interest in Alfi’s activities and views, highlighting
the strength of Luxembourg as a fund domicile.
- A key part of this is building relationships with relevant journalists,
providing them with views and information.
- The specific challenge in September was to attract attention, and media
attendance, at ALFI’s Global Investment Funds Forum, held in Luxembourg,
and to raise awareness of the discussion amongst journalists, members and
audiences further a field.
- The conference featured high-profile speakers on issues such as funding
retirement in Europe and the new landscape for investment funds in Hong Kong,
and was opened by H.E. Luc Frienden, Luxembourg’s Minister of Finance.
- Given the high-profile of the speakers and the topics discussed, a further
challenge was to ensure that Alfi’s views gained profile.
The strategic and creative solutions:
- We created a programme to ensure that the conference discussion reached
a wide audience, and to attract journalists from the UK to Luxembourg.
- In addition, in order to ensure that Alfi’s views gained profile,
we arranged a media lunch to discuss the recent European Pensions Green Paper,
with guest speakers from Datamonitor and Cerulli Associates.
- In order to reach a wider audience than the attendees, and to prepare for
Alfi’s activities in the Far East and elsewhere, we created a ‘live
blog’ from the conference, whereby ex-FTfm journalist Phil Davis blogged
on the issues being discussed.
- We invited key UK-based specialist journalists to the event in Luxembourg
and created a programme for them to get the most out of their stay in Luxembourg,
including a media luncheon, a tour of the City and informal dinners with Alfi
- The luncheon was an opportunity for journalists to hear Alfi’s views
on the European Pensions Green Paper, and discuss the issue with Alfi representatives
and other industry representatives from across Europe.
- We drafted and issued a release outlining Alfi’s support of the creation
of European Retirement Plans backed by UCITS.
- We issued an alert to journalists in the UK, France and Germany highlighting
that they could follow the conference on the blog, which was also issued to
- Seven UK journalists attended the conference in Luxembourg, resulting in
good coverage for Alfi and Luxembourg funds in key publications such as Global
Wealth, the Financial Times and Hedge Funds Review.
- The Conference blog attracting over 5,000 views, with each post attracting
2,000-4,000 hits. Given the expansion of Alfi’s activities in Asia and
the US, it plans to use the blog at future events to enable members and journalists
in those markets to keep abreast of proceedings at its conferences.